Portable outdoor camping chairs are not the only way to get a little comfort when you go camping. Those chairs are only good if you stay awake and need a soft place to sit. But when it is time to go to sleep, they are not that helpful. Using one of the top 10 best camping air mattresses in 2019 brings the nighttime comfort to your camping experience.
These air mattresses help to provide you with a soft place to lie down and get a good night’s rest. Something your body needs after a full day of camping activities. When you pick one of the top 10 best camping air mattresses in 2019 you are telling your body that you care about it.
If you are not sure which air mattress made out top 10 list, just continue to read our review. It is filled with interesting information that should help you upgrade and make your camping experience better.
Pros and cons of using a camping air mattress
You may not think that camping air mattresses have pros and cons, but they do. Every product is not perfect and there will always be something that someone does not like about a product. Here are a few pros and cons for camping air mattresses:
- You can adjust its firmness, making harder or softer for better sleep
- The ground is hard and cool which may aggravate back pain, these air mattresses protect your back from further pain
- No foul odors to disturb your sleep
- No sagging when inflated properly, making for better sleep
- They are strong, durable and tough which helps them last a long time
- They inflate quickly
- Problems when pumping breaks or malfunctions
- Warranty is not as good as other mattresses
- Can spring a leak or get holes poked into it
- Pump motor noise can be a little annoying and loud
- Need manual operating backup pump just in case
- Our camping air mattress review
- 10. LYING OUT travel lifestyle Lightweight Air Mattress
- 9. Lightspeed Outdoors 2 Person Air Mattress
- 8. Outdoorsman Lab Ultralight Sleeping Pad
- 7. KAMUI Self Inflating Sleeping Pad
- 6. Intex Inflatable Camping Mattress
- 5. Freeland Camping Sleeping Pad
- 4. Therm-a-Rest MondoKing Foam Camping Mattress
- 3. Intex Classic Downy Airbed set
- 2. ALPS Mountaineering Velocity Air Bed
- 1. Legit Camping Sleeping Pad
- Related Posts
Our camping air mattress review
10. LYING OUT travel lifestyle Lightweight Air Mattress
Its TPU plastic construction material keeps this air mattress lightweight while ensuring durability and toughness. A built-in pillow saves you room while providing you with some extra comfort as you sleep each night.
Easy to inflate, the air mattress has two air valves. One lets you add air and the other lets you remove some. This helps you maintain your comfort level all night long. When it comes to transporting it, the air mattress will fold down nice and small. Then its handy carrying case is easy to use and pack.
You can stay dry with the waterproof outer lining and you shouldn’t feel the ground cool as the air mattress is insulated. Just in case a leak does happen, a patch kit is included in your purchase.
9. Lightspeed Outdoors 2 Person Air Mattress
When you are camping with your romantic partner, you can have an enjoyable night with this 2-person air mattress. Made from PVC free material you get a durable yet comfortable bed to sleep on while camping.
Firmness is not a problem with its 2-way valve system and its stabilizer technology keeps the comfort al night long. Its 80 by 55-inch size should be more than enough room for the two of you.
A battery-operated pump makes inflating very easy but has a back up ready in case you forgot to check the battery life before leaving for your camping site. The lightweight, 6 pounds, means that it is not too much trouble packing this air mattress too and from your car.
8. Outdoorsman Lab Ultralight Sleeping Pad
With individual air cells adopting to the contours and weight of your body, you should get a comfortable night’s sleep with this air mattress pad. Inflating takes roughly 10 to 15 seconds which leaves you more than enough time to enjoy the great outdoors when you first arrive at your camping spot.
The air valve is easy to operate and shouldn’t cause you any trouble. The comfort is there as this unit is made from TPU and nylon. Plus, these construction materials ensure that this air pad will last you a long time.
Also, the air pad folds down very small and can fit inside your backpack with ease. With 2 inches of thickness protecting your back, you should not have any trouble with rocks, sticks or the cool ground.
7. KAMUI Self Inflating Sleeping Pad
This air mattress is so easy to use and convenient that it will inflate itself and save you the trouble. It provides so much comfort at night that you won’t want to get out of bed in the morning.
One nice feature is that you can connect this pad together with another one or two and make a great soft bed for you and your partner. The rebound foam is covered in tough polyester fabric to protect it from possible leaks and punctures.
Each mattress is perfect for one person and can be used in your tent or your car, RV and so on. Three compression bands help you get this pad folded down to easy carrying size.
6. Intex Inflatable Camping Mattress
This traditionally designed air mattress is perfect for those people 6’3” and under and do not go over 26 ½” wide. Its 2-ply laminated bottom works to keep you insulated from the cool ground and protect you from rocks and sticks.
Its velvet flocked top brings a little softness and comfort to your camping experience. One drawback is that it may take a little time to inflate. You can try doing it manually with your mouth, but it is recommended that you use a pump or air compressor to handle the task.
Its weight capacity is approx. 225 pounds and you shouldn’t try to go too much higher than that. You will also need a good needle when you use an air pump.
5. Freeland Camping Sleeping Pad
You can save a little space in your car by not bringing your pillow. This air mattress pad brings a pillow with it, so you do not have to. This polyester air mattress measures 76 by 25 by 1 ½ inch in size and gives you the thickness to sleep comfortably.
This self-inflating air mattress pad takes care of all inflating chores, so you can save more space by not bringing a pump. Its 2-way air valves keep leakage to a very low minimum. If you want to make a larger bed, that is okay. This pad will hook up with other similar pads to give you more sleeping space.
To keep it small after folding compression straps and a carrying bag are included with your purchase.
4. Therm-a-Rest MondoKing Foam Camping Mattress
It looks like a regular mattress, but it is filled with air. This self-inflating air mattress will save you energy as it saves you the chore of inflating it. Its 4-inch thickness makes sure you do not feel the ground underneath you as you sleep.
Then its vertical sides allow you t place two of these air mattresses next to each other for a better and larger sleeping area. Measuring 77 by 25 inches, one person should be able to sleep well on top of this mattress.
The two valves make sure the foam interior inflates properly when released from its carrying bag. Plus, if you need to adjust firmness, only a few breaths will do the job.
3. Intex Classic Downy Airbed set
With this set, not only do you get a comfortable air mattress to sleep on, but you get 2 pillows and a hand pump to inflate it. The soft top is waterproof, so you stay dry at night and the surface is very easy to keep clean.
Its wide mouth valve operates in 2 ways to make your inflating and deflating simple and not too difficult to do. Also, the 60 by 80 by 9-inch dimensions will handle up to 600 pounds of weight with ease.
You can also use queen sized sheets to spruce up your bed and make the tent look a little bit like home. Transporting should not be a problem once you deflate this air mattress.
2. ALPS Mountaineering Velocity Air Bed
This air mattress comes in two sizes. You can get one in tin size and another in queen size. It all depends on your camping situation. Then once deflated they are easy to store. You place it in its protective carrying bag until the next time you need it.
The TPU polyester fabric covers a coil system which helps distribute the weight and make sleeping more comfortable. A rechargeable battery-operated pump is included but brings extra batteries or a hand pump just in case.
A lifetime warranty accompanies your purchase and provides a little peace of mind knowing your investment is protected. You can recharge the pump with your car’s cigarette lighter feature. The material is tough and durable providing long life to this air mattress
1. Legit Camping Sleeping Pad
Individual air cells provide the comfort you are looking for in an air mattress. Easy to inflate and no pump is required. You can inflate this air mattress with about 15 breaths. To bring it down to packing size, just open the valve and let the air out.
Made from Nylon with a layer of TPU plastic, you get an air mattress that is protected against leaks, punctures, and tears. Measuring approx. 75 by 23 by 2 inches you have the room to get the sleep you need while you are camping.
When deflated the pad will measure roughly 10” by 3 ½”, small enough to fit in your backpack. A built-in pillow keeps your neck and heads comfortable and safe all night long.
Some camping tips for novices and other campers
Camping is fun and exciting, but you need to be careful as well. The woods are not as safe as your home and you should follow some basic tips to make sure your camping trip remains fun and exciting:
- Good sleeping bag- this is essential if you do not want to get sick. Get one rated for your camping region or you might be too cold at night.
- Earplugs- these are essential if your tent mate snores like a buzz saw.
- A good air mattress pad- these are vital as they provide comfort while protecting you from the cold ground
- Tent site- choose a level piece of ground and clear away all debris. Try to have a little weather protection around the site as well
- A good lantern- or LED light and keep them where you can find them fast. The outdoor night can get very dark very fast.
- Food storage- keep all and other scented items outside of your tent. You can use a good animal canister, put them in your car or hang the items in a box from a tree. But do not keep these items in the tent with you.
- Wet clothing- make sure you change out of your wet, or sweaty clothes as soon as possible. Wet clothes can lead to illness
- Watch the weather- get the latest and most up-to-date forecasts before you go to our campsite
- Campfires- these should be built roughly 15 feet away from our tents. Make sure you put them out properly and thoroughly before retiring for the night or leaving the campground
- Allergy and insect protection-the outdoors will have insects that will bug you. Also, if you have allergy sufferers along for the trip make sure you have their medicine and watch out for the different plants that could cause an allergic reaction
Some final words
When you follow the above tips and use one of the top 10 best camping air mattresses in 2019 you can make sure your camping adventure remains fun and exciting. There is nothing like being in the great outdoors when you have the right equipment with you.