Your pet is special but you do not always have the time to go to the door to let them out to do their duty. Also, you do not always have the tie to let them back in once they are finished with their outdoor activities. This is where one of the top 10 best dog doors in 2019 can be of some help to you.
These dog doors allow your pet to exit and enter your home without disturbing you or your daily activities. They are convenient and safe for your home and pet. In this article, we will review the top 10 best dog doors in 2019, plus we will give you some pros and cons of installing a dog door.
Then we will provide some helpful tips on what to look for when you go shopping for a dog door for your pet.
Pros & cons of dog doors
Like any product, dog doors have their share of positives and their share of negatives. It pays to know both well, so you can make the best decision for you and your home. Here are a few pros and cons for dog doors:
- Your dog has a little more freedom to roam
- If your dog gets bored, he can always take himself outside and perk up
- Going to the bathroom is a lot easier for your special dog
- Helps prevent indoor accidents and leaves you with less mess to clean up
- In case of a fire or other emergency, your dog can protect itself by escaping to the safety of the backyard
- You can lock the dog door
- You get a very dirty or wet dog bringing the outside inside with him or her
- If your dog is not your only pet, then they can use the dog door to escape to the outside as well
- Your dog may go out when it is not safe for them. Wild animals do attack dogs in their yards
- Your home’s security is not as safe as it could be
- Lets in cold weather
- Our dog door review
- 10. PetSafe Wall Entry Pet Door
- 9. PetSafe Patio Panel Sliding Glass Dog and Cat Door
- 8. PetSafe Extreme Weather Pet Door
- 7. Ideal Pet Products Pet Door
- 6. Ideal Pet Products Ruff-Weather Pet Door
- 5. BarksBar Original Plastic Dog Door
- 4. PetSafe Electronic SmartDoor
- 3. Ideal Pet Products Draft Stopper Pet Door
- 2. PetSafe Plastic Pet Door
- 1. Dog Mate Medium Dog Door White
- Related Posts
Our dog door review
10. PetSafe Wall Entry Pet Door
This aluminum pet door is not made for large dogs but ill accommodate dogs weighing up to 40 pounds. It measures 8.25 x 11.25 inches in size which should allow your small to medium size pet to go through the opening very easily.
Its two replaceable flaps help keep the weather and when they get damaged you can put the news in their place. If you think that isn’t enough energy protection, then this dog door comes with a sliding partition to make sure your home’s energy bill does not go up.
This unit is easy to install as you get step-by-step instructions and a cut-out template to use. The dog door can be installed in wood, stucco, brick and even some varieties of siding.
9. PetSafe Patio Panel Sliding Glass Dog and Cat Door
When you rent or do not want to put a hole in your wall or door, this dog door alternative is perfect if you have a sliding glass door. All you need to do is measure the height of your glass door and your dog to find the right size to fit your situation.
You also have a choice in colors. Also, when you move, you can take the door with you. There is no wasting of any money you invested in helping your pet get outside when they need to.
To help keep your home energy efficient magnets are used to keep the flap closed. You can also control your pet’s activities by sipping the slide in panel into place blocking your dog’s access to the other side.
8. PetSafe Extreme Weather Pet Door
This uniquely designed pet door uses 3 flaps to keep your interior environment where you want it. The hot or cold outside air stays outside. Then if you do not want your pet going outside, a snap-on panel is easily put into a position blocking your dog’s access to the door.
An optional but not included second panel is available if you think this system needs more energy protection. Also, if the pet door doesn’t come in a color that matches your home’s paint job, that is not a problem. The plastic frame is paintable.
The dog door measures approx. 8 x 12 1/4 in. in size and it is easy to install. Step by step instructions and a template are included with your purchase. Once installed, this door will service dogs weighing up to 40 pounds.
7. Ideal Pet Products Pet Door
Measuring 10 ½ by 15 inches in size, this pet door works for those dogs weighing up to 90 pounds. Your large dog can let themselves out without disturbing you or when you are not home. This dog door can also be used by cats as well.
Made from aluminum, this dog door is sturdy, strong and made to last. A limited lifetime warranty helps protect your investment in this product. With the right spacer, you can also install this dog door on a metal storm door.
The transparent flap allows your dog to see what is on the other side and when you do not want your dog to use the door, you just slide the solid panel down.
6. Ideal Pet Products Ruff-Weather Pet Door
Who says that dog doors can’t be energy efficient. This dog door comes with 2 insulated vinyl flaps to help keep the outside weather outside. Made from molded plastic, this pet door is made for all weather conditions and lets your dog go in and out while keeping your energy bill down.
Measuring approx. 9 ¾ by 17 inches this door is made for larger dogs. It may be possible for those pets weighing up to 120 pounds to use this dog door. 90to 100-pound dogs can easily use this pet door.
A limited lifetime warranty accompanies this dog door and it is not that difficult to install. It is also a very secure way of letting your dog get outside.
5. BarksBar Original Plastic Dog Door
The aluminum reinforced plastic dog door is made to outlast your dog. It is durable, strong and made to take the treatment your dog may give it. Then the dog door ha been tested to make sure that it can withstand biting and chewing your dog may do when it gets boring.
Measuring 10 ½ by 15 inches, this dog door is made for those pets weighing up to 100 pounds. The included magnets help keep the flaps n place when the door is not in use. This helps keep the outside weather outside.
For safety concerns, a sliding lockable panel is included with this dog door set. Just slide it into place. You can keep people from using the door when you are not home. Stay in control of your pet with this feature.
4. PetSafe Electronic SmartDoor
To control access to your home or backyard, only your dog can use this dog door if they are wearing the electronic smart key on their collar. No other animal can use this door when they do not have the key.
The programmable key allows you to control who has access to the pet door. Up to 5 smart keys can be programmed for the same dog door. The keys are waterproof and can be used in all weather conditions.
4 D cell batteries (not included) power the electronic smart door. The door automatically opens when it senses the signal from the key and automatically closes when that signal is lost.
3. Ideal Pet Products Draft Stopper Pet Door
This pet door may only weigh about 5 pounds, but it is heavy enough to support the approx. 18 ½ by 13 ¾ sizes of the dog door. Made from aluminum, this pet door is strong enough to withstand your pet’s daily use.
To help protect your home from outside air, the uniquely designed flap creates little air pockets to block any outside air from entering your home. Plus, the hard plastic flaps provide a little insulation as well.
If you are going to be gone for a while, leaving your pet home alone. There is a sliding locking panel you can put in place to make sure your dog stays inside where you want it.
2. PetSafe Plastic Pet Door
If you only want a simple pet door for your dog, then this is the unit to purchase. An insulated vinyl flap is the only thing standing in the way of your dog from the outdoors. Then its paintable allows you to match the dog door to the color of your home.
A snap-on solid panel allows you to control your dog’s comings and goings. Plus, its 12 ½ by 19-inch size allows for larger dogs weighing up to 100 pounds to enter and exit your home.
Everything you need to install this pet door is included in your purchase. Any good DIY handyman around the house can do it in no time.
1. Dog Mate Medium Dog Door White
This simply designed dog door is made for small to medium size pets. Its simple to use flap helps keep the outside air outside where it belongs. Its trimmable liner makes sure you get a secure fit for any type of door you install this unit on.
Then when you want to have a little more security or control your dog’s comings and goings, you can put the lockable panel in place. Dogs who have shoulders measuring up to 18 inches should have no problem using this dog door.
Plus, the lightweight flap should not hurt your dog when they run through the door. Magnets hold the flap in place to help protect your home and keep the dog door energy efficient.
What to look for
Not all dog doors are made the same. If you want to find one of the top 10 best dog doors in 2019 then following a few helpful tips will save you time and money while getting you to the best of the best dog doors.
- Installing- installation should be easy, all the hardware should be included, and you have detailed instructions to follow.
- Flaps- should be sturdy but lightweight and magnets should hold them in place to protect your energy situation
- Construction material- aluminum is best but good plastic materials can also do the job
- Electronics- smart doors are okay but what do you do when the batteries run out of power. This is a toss up and up to you to decide if you want the hassle
- Size- dog doors come in a variety of sizes, make sure you measure your pet and get their weight. Then check the handy charts to see which size will work best for your dog.
- Warranty- make sure you know the return policy of the store and read the fine print. Know how much coverage you have and for how long
- Price- usually these pet doors are affordable, just make sure they fit your budget
Some Final Words
Dogs are worth the trouble of finding and installing a pet door. They give so much to their owners that giving back a little should be no trouble at all. With a little homework and research, you can find one of the top 10 best dog doors in 2019 with little problem.
Make sure to read all the reviews before purchasing. Finding the right dog door for your pet is not a hasty decision. Not only do you need to find one that they will use but also provide protection for your home.
Purchasing one of the top 10 best dog doors in 2019 is a smart move that will help build your relationship with your adorable dog. You save time and your dog can have a little freedom.